Friday 16 September 2011

Idly Podi | My mother's recipe

Idly podi or Uppu podi as I call it, is my favorite of all the podis I can think of. I probably named it uppu podi coz this might have been the first of the podi varieties that I had tasted first in my childhood that had salt in it. :) So now everyone in my house calls it uppu podi. :)


The ingredients for this utterly delicious podi are only 3 excluding salt and oil used for frying the ingredients. I wonder how the use of only urad dal can give such excellent flavor to this podi. I am such a huge fan of this podi that I just eat it as is sometimes. Itseems as a kid I used to have some of this podi on plate and add water to it and just used to lick it down. :D I have this podi with idly, dosa and sometimes even curd rice. :) One another way that I have this podi with left over idlies is, crumble up the idly with this podi, add a little oil, mix and eat. :) It taLinkstes heavenly.

In the recipe given below, I have used only half a cup of urad dal. This would yield to little more than half cup of idly podi which would last for a week if consumed daily.

I am sending this to Srivalli's condiment mela.

From PAVITRA'S KITCHEN


Now to the recipe.

Ingredients
  • Urad Dal - 1/2 cup
  • Red Chillies - 10-12 ( I used 14 for this recipe)
  • Asafoetida / Hing / Inguva - 1/4 tsp
  • Oil - 1 tsp
  • Salt - to taste
Urad Dal, Hing, Red Chillies

Procedure
Heat a pan with a tsp oil.
Roast the urad dal till it changes 1 shade color.

Add in the red chillies and roast along with urad dal for 2 shades change in color.

Finally add the asafoetida powder and switch off the flame. Alternately you could add the asafoetida powder while grinding. If you are using the solid variant of the hing, roast it first in oil and then add rest of ingredients as mentioned above.

Let the ingredients cool.
Add all the cooled roasted ingredients to a mixie jar and blend with salt to the texture you prefer.

Store in an air tight container.

Do you like this post? Please link back to this article by copying one of the codes below.

URL: HTML link code: BB (forum) link code:
Get widget

You might also like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...